Introduction – May 29, 2022
The tide of war is running in Russia’s favour now.
This has been reflected in the western MSM coverage of the conflict, although not explicitly so and despite their best efforts to portray things as otherwise.
Initially, stories about a defiant Ukraine bravely fending off far superior Russian forces were a front-page news staple. Over the past two months that’s changed, however; as reports about the conflict are given far less prominence and those that do appear no longer feature speculation that Ukraine might even prevail against Russia.
Yet only a short while back such reports appeared regularly. In March, for example, the NPR carried a report in which “experts” openly speculated about a Ukrainian victory over Russia.
The BBC and other MSM news outlets echoed similar speculation. As did U.S. Secretary of State Anthony Blinken who affirmed that Ukraine “absolutely can” succeed against Russia.
All those quotes were made in March and now things look very different. At the time however, they encouraged President Zelensky and stopped him from moving toward a peace agreement, which was the last thing those orchestrating this war wanted.
So on the elite’s orders, the Western politicians and MSM have helped prolong the war, with this objective later confirmed by Secretary of State Blinken in April.
Moreover, the West hasn’t really weakened Russia, no matter what the Western MSM may say. Instead it is in the process of making implacable enemies in Moscow, in both the short and long term. In fact we would suggest that the West is sowing the seeds for a much wider, more destructive war involving Russia, and probably China too.
For make no mistake, Beijing’s absence from the international chorus of criticism directed against Putin – with some other notable exceptions like India and Iran – is significant and doesn’t bode well for a much more serious potential conflict that we suspect is brewing. Ed.
Russia’s ‘cauldron’ tactic may be tipping Donbas battle in its favour
Dan Sabbagh and Peter Beaumont – The Guardian May 28, 2022
After several weeks of deadlock, Russia’s military appears to have found a way to advance in the Donbas – pounding it with such intense, unsophisticated artillery that Ukraine’s exhausted defenders are having to yield.
Volodymyr Zelenskiy rarely gives casualty figures but Ukraine’s president said last Sunday that “50 to 100 Ukrainian troops die on Donbas frontlines each day”, meaning perhaps 3,000 a month in the grisly war of attrition.
Wounded will typically be three or perhaps four times as much, a serious loss for a Donbas defence force estimated at 30,000 before the war began, although the numbers increased following Ukraine’s mass mobilisation.
“Russian forces have secured more terrain in the past week than efforts earlier in May,” reported the Institute for the Study of War on Tuesday, in particular approaching the frontline city of Sievierodonetsk and in villages nearby.
“The shelling of Sievierodonetsk is growing exponentially,” said Serhiy Haidai, the governor of Ukraine’s Luhansk region, which is now 95% controlled by the Russians. He estimated 10,000 Russian troops and an extra 2,500 pieces of equipment had been committed to the attack.
The Russian advances are not dramatic but they reflect a new strategy. Gone for now are the attempts at wider encirclements of Ukrainian forces in the Donbas, which included a failed river crossing in early May. Instead units are focused on smaller encirclements – or “cauldrons” – and a sheer concentration at Sievierodonetsk.
That was confirmed by the militia head of the self-proclaimed pro-Russian republic in Donetsk, Eduard Basurin, who said Russian forces had adopted an approach of creating smaller encirclements to deprive Ukrainian troops of logistics and reinforcements, rather than pursuing a single large one.
Russian efforts in the Donbas have also been aided by shorter supply lines over the border into Russia as well as a dense network of railway lines in the parts of Luhansk occupied by pro-Russian forces since 2014. And forces previously thrown into the failed attempt to take Kyiv continue to arrive.
It follows the appointment by the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, of Gen Aleksandr Dvornikov to lead the fight. Infamous as the “Butcher of Syria” he also commanded a motor rifle division that devastated Grozny in the late 1990s. Dvornikov has brought the same tactics to Ukraine.
Nick Reynolds, a land warfare expert at the Royal United Services Institute thinktank, said the Russians had engaged in “progressive reorientation of their operations towards increasingly modest objectives” allowing them to take villages such as Popasna and Rubizhne, although he argued “their ground forces are still performing badly” as demonstrated by the reliance on artillery.
Others are not so sure. An anxious Kyiv continues to plead with the west for more powerful weapons. The latest demand is for M270 long-range multiple rocket launchers. On Friday, after a to and fro lasting several weeks, it appears the US now appears to be willing to provide some, after previously refusing.
The M270 comes in many versions but it can use missiles with a range of over 100 miles (165km), while the British version has a limit of 52 miles. Both are well beyond anything Ukraine has and would be a significant addition to Kyiv’s arsenal at a time when the country continues to have a pressing requirement for western arms.
When asked what Ukraine needed at present, Kira Rudik, a Ukrainian MP visiting the UK, said “the first and the foremost is weapons always”, arguing her country and the west “should not underestimate Russia right now” just because Moscow’s forces had, until earlier this week at least, made limited progress in the Donbas.
Rudik said she spoke to Ukrainian soldiers on the frontline every day. But an ongoing problem, she acknowledged, was that it can take two months or more for promised western weaponry to arrive, another reason why Russia may be enjoying a tactical advantage.
Ukraine’s fundamental problem is that while it may have fought off the attacks on Kyiv and Kharkiv in the first phase of the three month-long war, it has not been able to reverse Russia’s territorial gains in the south and east.
That means it has incurred human and economic losses far greater than Russia. Nearly 13 million people have been displaced by the fighting, the UN estimates. Its economy is set to fall 45% this year, according to the World Bank, and the country cannot balance its books. Its strategic exports of grain – 99% of which used to travel by ports blockaded or held by Russia – lie in silos where 22m tonnes are at risk of rotting.
Meanwhile, it may have taken three months for Russia to take the port of Mariupol, ruining and depopulating the city in the process, but this week minesweepers were clearing the beaches and the port, which Moscow hopes to reopen to create a fresh supply line from Russia to the occupied south.
A threat for Ukraine remains western fatigue, or a loss of unity, particularly if a largely stalemated war drags on towards next year. Countries traditionally less hostile to Russia may follow the suggestion of the veteran diplomat Henry Kissinger at the Davos summit this week, to consider pressing Ukraine to agree to a partition.
There are signs Russia is happy with the current pace. The defence minister, Sergei Shoigu, claimed on Tuesday the offensive was being slowed “deliberately in order to avoid civilian casualties” – and while there is plenty of evidence to the contrary about harm to ordinary Ukrainians from Russian shelling, it also suggests a country being prepared for a longer war.
Phil Osborn, a former head of UK defence intelligence, said the military situation was such that Ukraine needed as much help as it could get.
“The west must focus unremittingly on Ukraine and be prepared for pain. Putin calculates that we will be increasingly distracted (just look at the news cycle moving on and the ‘reasonable’ voices nudging Zelenskiy to settle) and that he has more patience than the west.”

What idiot at ‘Truthseeker’ decided to print this article?
Myles O’Murcu – No one forced you to read!
As usual, The Guardian of the Empire has just busted through another wide open door that has been smashed for at least two months now…Bravo!!!
Myles O’Murcu has a point, what does this rubbish add to what the entire universe already knows for monts?
Welcome to Holodomor II, where Jewish-Communist Putin & Boris Siegel’s ‘World Without Nazism’ operation slaughters masses of anti-Communist pro-white Aryan Ukrainians.
The real ulterior motive of the war, is to prolong it, implement a new Holodomor to kill off thousands/millions of Ukrainians & export their women to nonwhite regions–thus dismantling/destroying the infrastructure of their society (War is Peace) & eliminating the threat of an anti-Jewish White Ethnostate from ever forming via Azov/Right Sector…thanks to me, you now know what its really all about..
Of course The Guardian Report is crap from beginning to end, Myles, but you need to know what incessant lies the THICKbrit MSM is pumping out – ‘The Butcher of Syria’- oh f**k off!! – and
‘The defence minister, Sergei Shoigu, claimed on Tuesday the offensive was being slowed “deliberately in order to avoid civilian casualties” – and while there is plenty of evidence to the contrary about harm to ordinary Ukrainians from Russian shelling’ etc –
They will NOT stop with their hysterical Russophobic crap, with NO evidence to the contrary – and the THICKbrits will not stop believing it, even though the only possible thing that could save the UK from being a total totalitarian state fit only for the braindead would be to pull out of NATO and ally with Russia.
But there you go – the current THICKbrit headlines are BOASTING about providing Ukraine with long range missiles, Russia is likely to impose sanctions that WORK and we are going to have to most likely suffer complete societal collapse this Winter, whilst the Rouble remains strong and the Russian people remain warm , all because the British population would believe the Moon is made of Licorice if some ugly twat with a stupid bame calling herself a BBC War Correspondent told them that –
Myles: You are happy with Mockingbird fake news. Not everyone is.
To Nico X.
Sure pal. An “anti-Jewish White Ethnostate” that is run by Jews. Makes perfect sense. To only you.
Dragging this war out will destroy Africa (no food) and then Europe (mass migration of starving Africans). So Russia does not have to win in Ukraine, by dragging it out they have already won, there will be no wheat crop this year or next, they have defeated NATO.
China and India have banned exports of grain and America and Australia are having weather problems. This is the perfect storm.
I like to think of it less of a cauldron and more of a colon. Specifically the lower colon. Then next time when it squeezes those Nazis really will be evacuated.
Clearly, the Ukraine fighters, including the Azov criminals, are better at killing their own citizens than
killing the Russians.
europas survival depends not on
USZIO partnership but only in
sovereign friendship with Russia.
USA has shown many times that
is no friend of independent Europa.
it is even no friend with its own
citizens !