Reporter resigns, says Newsweek ‘suppressed’ Syria chemical attack story

Press TV – Dec 9, 2019

Hassan Diab shown in Al-Jazeera’s coverage of the alleged Syrian chemical attack. Click to see the full-size image

A Newsweek reporter has resigned after the American magazine refuses to publish his article questioning Western-backed findings about the origin of a chemical attack in Syria.

Last April, the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) published a report alleging that Syria had carried out a chemical attack against its southwestern city of Douma. The United States, Britain, and France later used the report as an excuse to launch a coordinated missile strike against sites and research facilities near the Syrian capital Damascus and the city of Homs in the Arab country’s west.

The reporter Tareq Haddad submitted his resignation on Friday after his editor refused to publish his article mentioning an internal OPCW email that had revealed inconsistencies between actual findings on the ground by the organization’s experts and the United Nations chemical watchdog’s final report.

“Yesterday, I resigned from Newsweek after my attempts to publish newsworthy revelations about the leaked OPCW letter were refused for no valid reason,” Haddad tweeted on Saturday.

The email sent by an OPCW member was revealed by whistleblower website WikiLeaks in late November. In the communication, the inspector had accused the watchdog of doctoring the report, which had been compiled by its experts, who had visited Douma.

The author of the email had rejected as “highly misleading and not supported by facts” the OPCW claim that “sufficient evidence” was found to determine chlorine was “likely released” from cylinders the organization’s experts had analyzed at two different locations in the Syrian city.

Haddad, meanwhile, said he was threatened with legal action after asking his editor why his story about the damning leak had been refused.

“I have collected evidence of how they suppressed the story in addition to evidence from another case where info inconvenient to US govt. was removed [by the outlet], though it was factually correct,” he said.

Fellow journalists, however, lauded Haddad for his courage.

“Newsweek , Newsweek UK, do you have any comment on this tweet from your former reporter Tareq Haddad?” Peter Hitchens of Britain’s The Mail on Sunday paper tweeted. “Mr Haddad, please contact me at The Mail on Sunday in London,” Hitchens added.

Syria surrendered its entire chemical stockpile in 2013 to a mission led by the OPCW and the United Nations.

Several reports have previously suggested the use of chlorine against civilians by anti-Damascus militants and Western-backed “rescue workers” in an attempt to implicate Damascus and justify foreign military intervention in the Arab country.

 

Source

3 responses to “Reporter resigns, says Newsweek ‘suppressed’ Syria chemical attack story”

  1. The chemical attack false flag was the excuse for the coordinated bombing which followed -the US, Britain and France all joining in the flaunting of International Law, by bombing a sovereign nation based on lies.

  2. The very idea that Syria would use chemicals against they’re own civilians is so
    blatantly insane …, well, kudos to this man for courage and integrity!
    But you can fool some of the people all of the time. Almost want to see if the mag
    reports his resignation, but no, hopefully he does put the real story in his own book.

  3. He may have been the last honest journalist at that mag, unfortunately. People have become so comfortable with the MSM propaganda they don’t even try to rationally or logically think about what they are being told.
    Truth is Treason in an upside down world.