Two UK bomb suspects released without charge
Jennifer Hill – Reuters July 15, 2007
Two men arrested in connection with failed car bomb attacks in London and Glasgow were released without charge on Sunday, British police said.
The men, aged 28 and 25, were arrested early on July 2 by Strathclyde police at the residences of the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley, Scotland, London's Metropolitan Police said.
Officers were given more time on Saturday to question a third man, Mohammed Asha, 26, who was arrested by counter-terrorism officers on the northbound M6 motorway in Cheshire, northern England, on June 30. His detention warrant will now expire on July 21.
Three people have so far been charged over the attacks.
British police charged Sabeel Ahmed, 26, of Liverpool, on Saturday with failing to disclose information that could have prevented an act of terrorism.
Earlier the same day, Australian Federal Police charged 27-year-old Mohamed Haneef, Sabeel's second cousin, with providing support to a terrorist organisation.
Iraqi-trained doctor Bilal Abdulla, 27, was charged in Britain last week with conspiring to cause explosions.
A seventh man, Indian engineer Kafeel Ahmed, 27, who is Sabeel's brother, is under police guard in hospital after being badly burned when a jeep was driven into an airport terminal building in Glasgow, Scotland, and set ablaze on June 30.
That attack came 36 hours after the discovery of two cars packed with fuel, gas tanks and nails primed to explode in central London.
Police think the two incidents were linked.
All but one of the eight original suspects are medics from the Middle East or India.
Dana Asha -- wife of Mohammed and the only woman among those detained in the case -- was arrested at the same time as her husband, but was released without charge on Thursday.
Last updated 17/07/2007