Bomb kills six Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan
Telegraph.co.uk – July 5, 2007
Six Canadian soldiers and a local interpreter were killed in southern Afghanistan yesterday when their armoured vehicle was hit by a roadside bomb.
The troops were returning in a convoy of 12 vehicles from a joint operation with the Afghan national army in the Panjwai district in Kandahar province.
The Taliban later said it had carried out the attack, the deadliest for Nato forces since May 13, when seven soldiers, including one Briton, were killed when a Chinook helicopter was brought down in Helmand province.
Brig-Gen Tim Grant called yesterday's attack an "absolute tragedy" that had killed "six great young Canadians".
He vowed to do all that he could to protect his forces. "We're not perfect and we do miss some [roadside bombs]. But the battle against the Taliban and their choice of weapons...is successful," he said.
So far 66 Canadian soldiers and a diplomat have died in Afghanistan since late 2002. Last month three Canadians died in Panjwai district when their supply vehicle triggered a roadside bomb.
Last updated 08/07/2007