Extended detention without trial back on the agenda
News Brief – August 13, 2006
In the wake of the current “terror” scare, Tony Blair’s ministers are said to be planning fresh attempts to pass legislation that will allow authorities to hold suspects for up to ninety days without charge.
Tony Blair, Gordon Brown and John Reid are all said to be in favour of extending the 28-day limit, which they claim, is insufficient to protect the public. It is expected that they will again try to alter existing legislation when Parliament returns from its summer break.
A similar attempt last year ended in humiliating failure for Tony Blair after 49 Labour MPs rebelled. In the end, a "compromise" figure of 28 days was passed.
David Winnick, the Labour MP who put forward the 28-day compromise last year, when Blair’s government was pushing for a ninety limit, said he expected ministers to use the latest terror scare to push for a longer limit.
He said: "It is obvious that they will do this, but I believe that under no circumstances should they be allowed to raise it."
Mr Blair, who is still on holiday in the Caribbean – despite Britain facing its “gravest threat” since World War Two, according to his Home Secretary John Reid – is expected to throw his weight behind renewed attempts to alter the existing legislation when he returns.
Last updated 15/08/2006