Press TV — June 23, 2014
An intelligence agency in Iraq’s semi-autonomous Kurdistan region says the US and the UK neglected its repeated warnings about the Takfiri Terrorists attacks in Iraq.
Kurdistan’s security agency says it tipped off the CIA and MI6 five months ago outlining the planned seizure of northern Iraq by the so-called Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL).
However, the Kurdish officials say, the American and British governments failed to take action and ignored the repeated warnings.
Meanwhile, a senior official at a Kurdish intelligence agency says that an estimated 4,000 foreign militants are currently fighting for the ISIL, adding that more than 400 of the foreign militants are British nationals.
Over the past days, Iraqi armed forces have been engaged in fierce clashes with the terrorists, who have threatened to take their acts of violence to the capital, Baghdad.
However, their advance has been slowed down as Iraqi military forces and volunteer fighters have begun engaging them on several fronts, pushing the militants out of several areas they had earlier overrun.
Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki has repeatedly said that Saudi Arabia, Qatar and some other Persian Gulf Arab states are supporting the militancy in Iraq.