Elad Benari — Arutz Sheva Jan 2, 2013
Experts from Iran and the P5+1 group of world powers have chosen January 20 to begin implementing the Geneva deal on Tehran’s nuclear program, AFP reported on Wednesday, citing the IRNA news agency.
“One of the main proposals is to begin applying the agreement from January 20,” the report quoted Hamid Baeedinejad, head of the Iranian delegation to technical talks with Western powers, as saying.
“There is agreement in principle on this date, which has yet to be approved by the politicians,” he said.
Baeedinejad had already been quoted on Tuesday by the ISNA news agency as saying the deal should be implemented in late January.
Experts from Iran and the so-called P5+1 – the United States, Britain, France, Russia and China plus Germany – have been holding technical talks on implementing an agreement reached November 24 on Iran’s controversial nuclear ambitions.
The interim deal requires that Iran freeze or curb its nuclear activities for six months in exchange for some sanctions relief while the two sides try to reach a comprehensive agreement.
On Tuesday, Tehran’s lead negotiator Abbas Araqchi reported “good progress” in the technical talks.
Baeedinejad said on Wednesday that “two or three issues of a political nature must be resolved at political levels”, without elaborating.
The technical talks, which resumed several weeks ago in Geneva, were interrupted when the Iranians walked out over a decision by the United States to blacklist 19 more Iranian companies and individuals, which the Iranians claimed was in violation of the Geneva deal.
Iran only agreed to resume the talks after it was given an “assurance” by EU foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton, who represents the six powers, that the talks would continue in good faith.
Washington had explained that the new measures did not constitute new sanctions, but were rather part of the previous sanctions regime.