Report: Iran nuclear chief says new centrifuges are being kept offline

Introduction — Dec 29, 2013

This confirms earlier reports that Iran has a new generation of higher capacity centrifuges ready to go into operation.
The fact that they haven’t is largely due to the November agreement over Iran’s nuclear ambitions. Under the terms of the deal Iran agreed to curb its nuclear program in return for the easing of sanctions.
Thus we believe its safe to conclude that the new centrifuges are being kept in reserve as a bargaining chip: a veiled threat that Iran will put into operation if and when new sanctions are authorised by U.S. lawmakers.

Report: Iran nuclear chief says new centrifuges are being kept offline

Associated Press — Dec 29, 2013

Iranian state TV is quoting the Islamic Republic’s nuclear chief as saying the country has not put into operation a new generation of centrifuges for enriching uranium.

The Sunday report quoted Ali Akbar Salehi as saying that Iran decided because of a November deal with world powers to not put online 1,000 new devices installed months ago. “Iran will not install more centrifuges,” he said.

However Salehi reiterated statements made earlier this week that his engineers are building and testing even newer generations of centrifuges. That claim appeared partly aimed at countering criticism from hard-liners.

Under the deal Iran agreed to cap its nuclear activities in return for an easing of sanctions. Talks on details will resume on Monday.

The West suspects Iran is developing weapon, a charge Tehran denies.

Source

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.