Another ‘Green-on-Blue’ Attack

News Brief – August 29, 2012

A spokesman for the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) in Afghanistan says three of its troops have been killed by a man in an Afghan army uniform.
The attack is the latest in a string of similar incidents this year when Afghans soldiers – or insurgents dressed as government troops – have turned their weapons on the international forces.
The ISAF said Wednesday the latest attack occurred on Tuesday in southern Afghanistan. Three Australian soldiers were killed in the incident.
In an unrelated incident two Australian Special Forces privates were killed when their helicopter landed and rolled over in Helmand province early Thursday, officials confirmed.
The incidence of “green-on-blue” attacks has risen sharply this year leaving forty-five coalition members dead, most of them Americans.
In recent weeks worries have grown over the mounting incidence of such attacks. At least a dozen of this year’s attacks have been in the past month, raising concerns over a new Taliban strategy.
Only two days before, two more U.S. soldiers were killed by a rogue Afghan soldier.
Earlier in August the U.S. Chief of Staff General Dempsey had flown into Kabul to discuss the mounting ‘green-on-blue’ attacks.
In the wake of General Dempsey’s visit, the Afghan government said it will now review the files of 350,000 soldiers and police serving in its security forces. In addition, more stringent recruiting proceedures will be employed and undercover intelligence officers will be inserted into the the ranks of local security forces.
In plain language, informers will be used to monitor dissidence in the ranks of the Afghan army and police.
However, such measures will be too late to save the three Australians killed in the latest incident.
It is understood that an Afghan soldier opened fire while the three were relaxing at  a forward operating base in Oruzgan province. Another Australian soldier is reported to have been seriously wounded in the attack and was rushed to medical facilities in Tarin Kowt.
A search is currently underway for the gunman who fled the base after the shooting.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.