The following article is yet another prime example of disinformation masquerading in the guise of journalism.
Published in today’s London Sunday Telegraph, it purports to reveal why the two British Special Forces men captured by Iraqi police in Basra recently, were disguised as Iraqis. The reason, we are informed, is that they were SAS men spying on an evil Iraqi “drill torturer”.
No explanation as to why they were carrying so much weaponry and explosives, pictured below, just a story that casts the men’s mission in a positive light as possible, while concealing its true nature and portraying the Iraqi police as little better than terrorists.
However, the photo of the men’s equipment exposes the Telegraph’s story for the lie that it is. For if the men were indeed on a surveillance mission they would never have been encumbered with so much equipment. The very nature of surveillance and reconnaissance would have required them to be as lightly equipped as possible and certainly not laden down with explosives.
So once again we have a mainstream media peddling lies on behalf of the Anglo-American establishment. Just as they did in the run up to the Iraq invasion with countless reports about Iraq’s “alleged Weapons of Mass Destruction”, all of which have proven to have been groundless but which at the time were used to convince the public as to the necessity of invading Iraq. Ed.
Also see British Bombers
Sean Rayment – The Telegraph Sunday October 16, 2005
Two SAS soldiers imprisoned by Iraqis last month had been spying on a senior police commander who was torturing prisoners with an electric drill, The Sunday Telegraph can reveal.
The real story behind the soldiers’ undercover operation emerged last week after the Government promised to pay compensation for any injury or damage caused during the rescue operation.
It is understood that the Special Air Service had been ordered to carry out surveillance operations against several members of the Iraqi police, who were believed to be responsible for torturing prisoners at the notorious Jamiyat prison in Basra.
Military sources said that the operation was ordered by senior officers after the body of an Iraqi, who had been arrested by the police for smuggling and gun-running, was found on the outskirts of the city in April. An examination of his body had revealed that an electric drill had been used to penetrate his skull, hands and legs.
Iraqi sources later gave information to the Army that suggested the torture had been carried out by a senior police officer, who is a member of one of the most powerful tribes in southern Iraq.
It had been previously reported that the SAS had been monitoring the activities of police officers thought to be members of the al Mehdi army, an insurgent organisation trying to force Britain to withdraw from southern Iraq. Sources within the Army now believe that hundreds of people who have been arrested by the Iraqi police might have been tortured at the prison, a two-storey complex that houses Basra police’s major crimes unit and was once nicknamed Gestapo HQ by British officers.
British Government ministers are understood to be extremely concerned and embarrassed by the allegations of torture because it was the Army that helped to re-create the police force and reopened Jamiyat jail.
Brig John Lorimer, the officer who launched the raid to rescue the two SAS men who were taken prisoner, gave an indication of the problems at the jail when he described it in an interview with this newspaper as a “very nasty place”.
The SAS detachment in Basra was given the task of trying to establish who was behind the reign of terror at the jail. They were also warned to tread carefully because the Iraqi police were meant to be allies of the coalition.
“The finger of suspicion started to point in the direction of a senior officer inside the Jamiyat,” said a senior Army source. “We believe victims were strapped into a chair and then the torture would begin. We think it was more to do with inter-tribal warfare than clamping down on terrorist activity. This is a very corrupt society.”
As part of the investigation, two SAS men were ordered to monitor the movements of the Iraqi police officer but the operation was compromised on September 19 when the SAS team became involved in a shoot-out with four plain-clothed police officers just as they were about to withdraw from the surveillance operation.
Fearing that they would be killed, one of the SAS men opened fired as they drove off.
The Iraqi men gave chase and a few hundred yards later the SAS soldiers dumped their car in the belief that they had a better chance on foot.
The SAS men contacted their headquarters and were moving towards an emergency rendezvous point when they were stopped by a uniformed Iraqi police unit that had driven into the area after hearing the shooting.
To try to avoid a shoot-out with the police, the SAS soldiers decided to surrender and each pulled out handkerchief-sized Union flags and began shouting, “British forces, British forces”.
The SAS soldiers were arrested and taken to the jail where they were beaten and interrogated.
The source said that the soldiers concocted a cover story and never admitted to being members of the elite special forces unit.
He added that when the soldiers were eventually moved to another house, the mood of their captors changed and that although their hands remained bound together they were treated quite well before being freed in a rescue operation by their colleagues.
The two SAS men were flown back to Hereford, where the unit is based, and were debriefed by senior officers. It is understood that all SAS operations against Iraqi police have since been suspended.