Royal wedding: three arrested for ‘mock execution’ plan

Mark Hughes and Stephen Swinford – Telegraph.co.uk April 29, 2011

Officers from the Metropolitan Police arrested 68-year-old Chris Knight, the leader of an anti-capitalist group the Government of the Dead, at his home in Brockley south east London.

His partner Camilla Power, 60, and 45-year-old Patrick Macroidan, who was dressed as an executioner were all arrested.

Police seized a guillotine which the trio were planning on using during their royal wedding protest, which fellow activists today insisted would still go ahead.

Posting on Facebook and Twitter, members said that the event, described as a “right royal orgy” with “rumpy pumpy and guillotines”, would go on without the three.

Following their arrests a fellow activist posted a video of the raid on YouTube. It showed several officers explaining to the three that they were being arrested for conspiracy to commit breach of the peach and commit a public nuisance

Mr Knight tells the officers that he is a professor of anthropology and claims that the group were merely planning on performing “street theatre”. He then lies on the floor before being put in a police van.

 A spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said: “Officers have arrested three people – two males aged 68 and 45, and a 60-year-old woman – in Wickham Road, SE4 on suspicion of conspiracy to cause public nuisance and breach of the peace.”

The event the three were planning was billed as a “Royal Zombie Wedding Celebration”. According to a website poster it is scheduled to start at 10am in Soho Square before moving to Piccadilly Circus and then to Westminster Abbey. At 1pm a “Royal Zombie Flash Mob” is advertised.

Members of the Facebook group supporting the protest said the event would go on regardless of the arrests. One member, Stig Carlsson, wrote: “I suppose the event is still on, even if some of us have been made to miss it.”

The three arrests followed 20 made at squats in Hackney and Camberwell yesterday. The Metropolitan Police said that the arrests were not specifically related to the royal wedding – 19 were for the illegal abstraction of electricity while the other was for disorder at the TUC march last month.

But Scotland Yard admitted that the arrests were deliberately made in advance of the wedding. The 20 have now been bailed and it is thought that they are banned from entering central London today. It brings the total number of people banned from entering the City of Westminster today to about 90.

Source

One response to “Royal wedding: three arrested for ‘mock execution’ plan”