Iran confirms missile test in defiance of U.S.

Introduction – Dec 11, 2018

Reuters has once again been caught misrepresenting the facts. Last week it claimed: “Iran wants to expand its missile range despite U.S. opposition”.

 The implication being that Iran was working to expand its missile’s range so they could reach beyond the Middle East into Western Europe.
Crucially however, Reuters omitted to say that the quote from Iran’s Brigadier General Aziz Nasirzadeh was in reference to the Fakour-90, an air-to-air missile — not a surface-to-surface missile. That is a key difference.
Now Reuters has made another crucial omission by claiming that a senior Iranian Revolutionary Guards official has confirmed U.S. claims about a recent missile test.
According to Reuters, IRGC airspace division head Amirali Hajizadeh was quoted as saying by the semi-official Fars news agency saying:
“We will continue our missile tests and this recent action was an important test… The reaction of the Americans shows that this test was very important for them and that’s why they were shouting”.
However, Reuters omits to say that in the same Fars News article IRGC Brigadier Hajizadeh added that although Iran had improved the accuracy of its ballistic missiles it had been decided that IT DID NOT NEED TO INCREASE THEIR RANGE.
“We have the capability to build missiles with higher ranges. The digit, 2,000km, is not a divine decree but what has been decided until today is based on our needs,” Brigadier Hajizadeh told students in Tehran on Monday.
In fact that quote was central to the Fars News article and was even included in the heading. Yet Reuters chose to ignore it and the rest of the article in which Brigadier Hajizadeh claimed that the U.S. complaints about Iran’s missiles were meant to reduce its ability to defend itself prior to an invasion.
We reserve judgement on whether the U.S. wants to invade Iran but have to wonder: why Reuters is making these omissions? Is it now working for Mike Pompeo and U.S. war hawks? Ed

Iran confirms missile test in defiance of U.S.

Babek Dehgahnpisheh — Reuters Dec 11, 2018

A Qadr H ballistic surface-to-surface missile is fired by Iran's Revolutionary Guard Corps, during a maneuver, Wednesday, March 9, 2016. Click to enlarge

A Qadr H ballistic surface-to-surface missile is fired by Iran’s Revolutionary Guard Corps, during a maneuver, Wednesday, March 9, 2016. Click to enlarge

A senior Iranian military commander confirmed that Tehran recently carried out a ballistic missile test to the anger of the United States, the Fars news agency said on Tuesday.

The Revolutionary Guards official’s comment came after U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s assertion earlier this month that Iran had test-fired a missile capable of carrying multiple warheads and reaching the Middle East and Europe.

“We will continue our missile tests and this recent action was an important test,” Guards’ airspace division head Amirali Hajizadeh was quoted as saying by the semi-official Fars news agency.

“The reaction of the Americans shows that this test was very important for them and that’s why they were shouting,” he added, without specifying what type of missile had been tested.

The U.N. Security Council met last week over the test that the United States, Britain and France said flouted U.N. restrictions on Tehran’s military program.

U.S. President Donald Trump pulled out of an international agreement on Iran’s nuclear program in May and reimposed sanctions on Tehran. He said the deal was flawed because it did not include curbs on Iran’s development of ballistic missiles or its support for proxies in Syria, Yemen, Lebanon and Iraq.

Continues …