Pompeo condemns Iran missile test

Introduction – Dec 1, 2018

This is beginning to sound all too familiar. With Iraq it was Saddam’s mythical Weapons of Mass Destruction, which were used as a pretext for regime change.
Of course, once invasion was underway and Saddam was ousted those WMD turned out to be entirely non-existent but they had served their purpose. They had provided a pretext for regime change and paved the way for years of bloody conflict that left hundreds of thousands dead.
With Iraq dealt with the elite have turned their attention to Iran, which is proving a tough nut to crack.
Not only has Iran complied with International Atomic Energy Agency restrictions but the countless allegations about its nuclear ambitions have all turned out to be entirely false. In fact in 1993 Benjamin Netanyahu was warning that Iran would have nuclear weapons by 1999.
That was a quarter of a century back and no such weapons have materialised so now the warmongers are trying a new angle. The problem isn’t Iran’s WMD, which the West is having a hard time proving exist, the problem is Iran’s missiles.
The irony is that Iran developed its ballistic missiles a means to deter potential aggressors and thus far they have. During the past few decades Iran’s missiles have become more accurate, more sophisticated with multiple warheads and more speedily fired, with minimal launch preparation time.
Crucially, Iran has not extended the range of its surface-to-surface missiles beyond medium range (2,000 km-2,500km). That’s because the missiles are being used a deterrent against any threat to its sovereign territory.
Pompeo claims that the missile tested on Saturday was capable of carrying warheads, in violation of the international agreement on Iran’s nuclear program, which Trump pulled out of. We are expected to take his word for that but are we going to fall into the same trap that we did with Saddam’s infamous “Weapons of Mass Destruction”?

Pompeo condemns Iran missile test

David Morgan – Reuters Dec 1, 2018

Mike Pompeo announces the creation of the « Iran Action Group

Mike Pompeo announces the creation of the “Iran Action Group” in August 2018. Click to enlarge

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Saturday condemned what he described as Iran’s testing of a medium-range ballistic missile capable of carrying multiple warheads as a violation of the international agreement on Tehran’s nuclear program.

Amid tension between Washington and Tehran over ballistic missiles, Pompeo warned in a statement released on Twitter that Iran is increasing its “testing and proliferation” of missiles and called on the Islamic Republic to “cease these activities.”

President Donald Trump pulled out of an international nuclear agreement in May and reimposed sanctions on Tehran, criticizing the deal for not including curbs on Iran’s development of ballistic missiles or its support for proxies in Syria, Yemen, Lebanon and Iraq.

Iran says its missile program is purely defensive but has threatened to disrupt oil shipments through the Strait of Hormuz in the Gulf, if the United States tries to strangle Iranian oil exports. Last month, an Iranian Revolutionary Guards commander said U.S. bases in Afghanistan, the UAE and Qatar, and U.S. aircraft carriers in the Gulf were within range.

Pompeo’s statement provided few details about the latest Iranian missile test.

“The Iranian regime has just test-fired a medium range ballistic missile that’s capable of carrying multiple warheads,” he wrote in the tweet.

“This test violates UNSCR 2231,” he added, citing the United Nations Security Council’s endorsement of the international nuclear agreement. “We condemn this act.”

U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, addressing a security forum in California, said the Iranian launch was significant and was a reminder that Tehran was unlikely to be deterred from pursuing missile technology or supporting militant proxies.

“It shows that our best efforts to try to talk them out of their aggressive support of terrorism is probably going to be as unsuccessful as the U.N’s effort to stop them from launching missiles,” Mattis said.

He added that while the strategic threat from Iran was less significant globally than the one from North Korea, he said it was regionally significant.

“And it could grow beyond that if it’s not dealt with,” Mattis said.

The Islamic Republic’s government has ruled out negotiations with Washington over its military capabilities, particularly its missile program, which is run by the Revolutionary Guards.

On Tuesday, the head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran warned the European Union that Tehran’s patience was running out on the bloc’s pledge to keep up oil trading despite U.S. sanctions. He said Iran could resume enriching uranium to 20 percent purity if it fails to see economic benefits from the 2015 deal that curbed its nuclear program.

Source

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.