You can see how absurdly easy it is to create a fake ‘al-Qaeda’ terrorist attack. Take one petty criminal from Madrid of plausible ethnicity and pay him some money to hang out with some people who the authorities can associate with al-Qaeda. After the bomb attack, either plant a bag of unexploded bombs or find a real dud bag and, while it is in the police station, put a phone and a phone card from the shop of the petty criminal in the bag. The criminal is instantly turned into Lee Harvey Oswald, and the bombing attack is instantly turned into an act of Islamic fundamentalist terrorism.
1. The main suspect, Jamal Zougam appears to have been a petty scammer and fence who dealt in stolen telephones and credit cards brought to him by a ring of pickpockets in Madrid. One business associate who had visited him just before the attack said (1):
“I know what he is accused of, but this is not the Jamal we know.”
Mahabur al-Farhon, who owns a boutique close to Zougam’s shop, said:
“When we had a beer together he never talked about religion. He was more interested in making money.”
Zougam is tied into the bombings by a phonecard said to have come from his shop which was found in the one bag of bombs which did not explode. The reason it did not explode is supposedly because the trigger for the explosion, a phone call to a disposable cell phone in the bag, was not made. The reason the call was not made? Because the terrorists forgot (or because they set the clock on one detonator for 19:40 rather than 7:40)! The famous bag itself was found (2) in a police station, where it supposedly had been taken by the police along with other luggage found at the scene of the bombing. The Spanish authorities don’t seem comfortable with witness statements that Zougam was on the train, so the fact one of his phones and phonecards were used really doesn’t prove anything except that someone involved may have bought them from him.
2. A group of radical Muslims had moved into Zougam’s neighborhood recently, but Zougam was never seen in their company. He liked to go to nightclubs, was interested in sporting the latest fashions, and had boasted about his many girlfriends. In other words, he was just like Mohamed Atta, another ‘Islamic fundamentalist’ with decidedly un-fundamentalist choices in lifestyle!
3. Moroccan authorities have identified (3) the three arrested Moroccans as Jamal Zugam, 30, an office worker, Muhammad Bekkali, 31, a mechanic and Muhammad Chaui, 34, a factory worker. They are not known to be connected to terrorism (and the Moroccans appear to be on top of such things). This is eerily reminiscent of the stolen identities used in the 9-11 attack.
4. The Abu Hafs al Masri Brigade, which took credit for the bombings, may not actually exist (4).
5. Of the five arrested men, three are said to be Moroccans and two are supposed to be from India. Although it may be a translation problem, they were described as being of ‘Hindu’ (5) origin, odd members for al-Qaeda! It is interesting that initially the men of ‘Hindu’ origin were simply being questioned and were not expected (6) to be arrested.
6. There were no suicide bombers.
If ‘Jamal Zougam’ (if that is his real name) was involved, and that is certainly not proven, it seems likely he did it for money rather than for religious ideals. If so, anyone could have hired him. The complete absence of any timely claim to have done the act from any known terrorist group makes it highly unlikely that it was a terrorist act in the traditional sense (I don’t see any of the late claims of responsibility as being credible). The weavers of stories have already started their work of tying ‘Jamal Zougam’ into the web of international Islamic terrorism. Don’t believe the hype!
Saturday, March 20, 2004
Lee Harvey Oswald said:
“I am just a patsy.”
One of the co-accused in the Madrid bombing case, Mohamed Bekkali, on entering the courtroom shouted (7):
“I am innocent! I am innocent!”
Real terrorists are proud to take credit for what they have done. Patsies yell out their innocence. The supposed ringleader, Jamal Zougam, wept. Isn’t he supposed to be defiant to the court and proud of what he has done? These are some weird terrorists.