Dan Falvey — The Daily Express June 24, 2018
Last month the US pulled out of the Iran nuclear agreement, which aimed to reduce Iran’s nuclear capability after it criticised the terms of the deal for being too lenient.
Following the withdrawal, there have been concerns Iran may once again start to develop its nuclear arsenal.
However, in a threat to Iran, Mr Pompeo said: “I hope they understand that if they begin to ramp up their nuclear program, the wrath of the entire world will fall upon them.”
He added: “This is something the entire world would find unacceptable and we’d end up down a path that I don’t think is in the best interests of Iran.”
There was an escalation of rhetoric between Tehran and Washington officials after the US pulled out of the deal, which is officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif said his country would launch a “fierce reaction” to the US abandoning the agreement.
While Trump said he would impose the “strongest sanctions in history” against the Iranian regime.
After Mr Pompeo’s threat, the Secretary of State attempted to scale down his comments in the hope of not escalating tensions further.
Following up on his remarks he insisted there would be no military action against Tehran.
He said: “When I say wrath, don’t confuse that with military action.
“When I say wrath, I mean the moral opprobrium and economic power that fell upon them.
“That’s what I’m speaking to. I’m not talking to military action here.
“I truly hope that that’s never the case.
“It’s not in anyone’s best interests for that.”
While the US has withdrawn from the JCPOA, China, France, Russia, United Kingdom and the EU all still remain a part of the agreement.
The other signatories have expressed their regret at the US’s decision to leave the pact and are hoping to persuade Iran to remain a part of the agreement.