Las Vegas shooting: Mandalay Bay massacre leaves more than 50 dead in worst attack in US history

Danny Boyle — Telegraph.co.uk Oct 1, 2017

More than 50 people have been killed and at least 200 injured at an open-air country music festival in Las Vegas in the worst mass shooting in US history.

Terror spread through the city’s famous strip as 64-year-old gunman Stephen Paddock launched an attack from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino, unloading hundreds of rounds of ammunition from an automatic weapon towards concert-goers.

Police confirmed the attacker – described as a “lone wolf” – was a local resident who has been shot and killed by officers.

The attacker’s motive is unknown, but the Las Vegas sheriff said his female travelling companion – Marilou Danley – was sought as a “person of interest”. Police later said they believed she had been located.

An estimated 40,000 people dived for cover as hundreds of rounds of shots rained down on the crowd during the Route 91 Harvest Festival at about 10.20pm on Sunday local time (6.20am Monday BST)

Witnesses earlier claimed the attack involved “two or three” gunmen and there were reports of other incidents at different locations. But police said they believe the dead suspect acted alone.

“We have in excess of 100-plus injured and excess of 20-plus that have died at this point,” Las Vegas Metro Police Sheriff Joseph Lombardo told a press conference, adding that two off-duty police officers are believed to be among the dead

The shooting came towards the end of the three-day Route 91 Harvest Festival while Jason Aldean, the American country music singer, was on stage.

Mr Aldean posted on Instagram that he and his crew are safe, as he said: “My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved.”

Continues …

 

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.