Manchester bombing police say Salman Abedi did not act alone

Introduction — July 6, 2017

Salman Abedia. Click to enlarge

Salman Abedia. Click to enlarge

As the correspondent who sent this in noted, of course Salman Abedi didn’t act alone. Apart from Abedi there were his enablers in the British security services.
In fact the UK government operated a virtual open-door policy for Libyan dissidents fighting Gaddafi. This enabled them to travel to and from Libya with little or no scrutiny from border control.
According to the Daily Mail:
Those who travelled to Libya to fight alongside Islamic rebel groups have described how, even though they were subject to counter-terror orders banning them from leaving their homes because they posed a security threat, they were allowed to travel to the hostile warzone.
When they returned to the UK, having spent months alongside groups thought by British intelligence to have links with Al-Qaeda, rebels were said to have been allowed back into the country without hesitation.
Libyan officials have backed up the claims, saying the British government were ‘fully aware’ of young men being sent to fight, turning the North African country into an ‘exporter of terror’.
Salman Abedi’s father, Ramadan, a former Libyan intelligence officer in living in England, was a known Al Qaeda supporter. Like other Libyan dissidents, after Gaddafi was ousted he was allowed to travel to and from Libya no questions asked”.
The following also omits to mention that the FBI reportedly “warned MI5 in January that Salman Abedi was planning a terror attack”. That’s months before Salman Abedi struck but he was allowed back into the country after having been in a known terror hot-spot only weeks before.
As with so many purported terror attacks, the Manchester bombing has the security services grubby fingerprints all over it. Ed.

Manchester bombing police say Salman Abedi did not act alone

Nazai Parveen — Guardian July 6, 2017

Aftermath of the Manchester bombing. Click to enlarge

Aftermath of the Manchester bombing. Click to enlarge

Terrorism investigators have confirmed that they believe the Manchester Arena suicide bomber, Salman Abedi, did not act alone when preparing his attack on an Ariana Grande concert that killed 22 people.

Anti-terrorism officers said they believed the 22-year-old bomber was not part of a network but that others were aware that he was going to carry out the attack on 22 May.

Investigators revealed that after the attack explosives were found at various addresses in the city.

It also emerged Abedi, 22, spent hours “milling around” in the busy city centre before detonating his bomb in the foyer of the arena, killing seven children and 14 adults.

Greater Manchester police (GMP) revealed they were working with authorities in Libya to speak to Abedi’s brother, Hashem, who was being held by anti-terror police.

In a briefing DCS Russ Jackson, head of north-west counter-terrorism policing, said that others were involved and there could still be further arrests. He said: “We do believe there are other people potentially involved in this … and further arrests are possible.”

Jackson said: “We are currently engaging with the Crown Prosecution Service and the Libyan authorities,” he said. “This is a live criminal investigation where central to it are 22 murdered people with grieving families.”

Police previously said they believed Abedi assembled the device by himself in the days before the attack. They had said it was unclear whether he had acted alone in obtaining materials for the bomb, which officers believed were stored in a white Nissan Micra found parked in the Rusholme area of the city.

But on Thursday they revealed they now believed he had help as he plotted the attack.

Abedi was born in Manchester to Libyan parents, who had moved back to Tripoli in recent years, along with his younger siblings. He is believed to have visited Libya shortly before the attack, returning to the UK on 18 May.

During the briefing at GMP headquarters, Jackson said he had to be careful not to damage any potential future prosecution as he briefed reporters.

The bomber’s younger brother, Hashem, was arrested in Libya shortly after the explosion, along with their father, Ramadan.

The family fled Libya during Muammar Gaddafi’s dictatorship, with the father returning to fight with opposition forces when the uprising began in 2011.

Abedi’s older brother, Ismail, was among more than a dozen people held and questioned by police in the UK before being released without charge.

Jackson said Abedi travelled to Libya a number of times, and police were investigating how he obtained the skills to make a bomb.

Calls Abedi made, reportedly to his mother and others, on the night of the attack were another key line of inquiry, Jackson said, but would not be drawn further. He said no video or note has been found by police left by Abedi to explain his motivation.

Source

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.