Introduction — June 7, 2017
Reports like the following only reinforce that line by claiming that “the London Bridge terrorists slipped through the net”. They didn’t. They were knowingly allowed to evade scrutiny.
How else does one explain the fact that the Manchester bomber, Salman Abedi had recently travelled to Libya, was known to the authorities but was not considered to pose an immediate threat?
Unfortunately, like Salman Abedi, the London Bridge attackers, is only the latest in a growing list of terrorists who somehow “slipped through the net”:
Khalid Masood, the Islamic terrorist who in March mowed down people with his car before stabbing a police officer to death outside Westminster Palace, had been monitored by MI5 over concerns of “violent extremism”. However like Abedi he was no longer deemed to pose a threat.
Likewise Breitbart reported:
Anis Amri, who drove a truck through a Berlin Christmas market and killed 12 people in December, had been identified as a terrorist threat months before the attack but was not apprehended.
In France, the gunman who killed a police officer at the Champs-Elysees in April had been the subject of a counterterrorism investigation in March. Some of the attackers behind the 2015 Paris terror attack had also been monitored by both Belgian and French intelligence services – but were still able to coordinate a major terrorist attack, killing 130 people.
The list goes on and is growing, almost by the week. At some point the public is going to have to wake up to the fact that these aren’t just oversights. These attacks are being “allowed to happen” and in some cases the authorities are knowingly helping to facilitate them.
All of this is being done to help empower the authorities and facilitate the introduction of more draconian legislation. Theresa May has already announced that human rights laws will be amended “if they get in the way“ of the fight against terror and these attacks are being used to that end. As Lasha Darkmoon reports, they will also give the authorities more power to control the internet. Ed.
MI5 under pressure to explain how another terrorist slipped through the net
Michael Settle — The Herald June 7, 2017
THE secret service is under increasing pressure to explain how the London Bridge terrorists slipped through the net after it emerged two of the three attackers had been known to the authorities.
This means that perpetrators in all three of the terrorist outrages to hit Britain this year had at some point appeared on the radar of the security agencies.
During a visit to North Wales, Prime Minister Theresa May said: “MI5 and the police have already said they would be reviewing how they dealt with Manchester and I would expect them to do exactly the same in relation to London Bridge.”
Yesterday it emerged that Youssef Zaghba, 22, named as the third extremist responsible for Saturday night’s atrocity, had been stopped at an Italian airport trying to fly to Turkey in March last year amid concerns he was intending to travel on to Syria.
He is said to have told authorities in Bologna “I’m going to be a terrorist” while officers reportedly found so-called Islamic State-related material on his mobile phone when he was intercepted.
The Italian national of Moroccan descent was prevented from continuing his journey to Istanbul, placed on a watch list and, it was claimed, flagged up to Moroccan as well as British security services.
The Italian authorities took Zaghba’s phone and passport but they were returned to him as there was insufficient evidence to accuse him of any terror-related offence. Of late, he had been living in east London, where his accomplices also lived.
There has been no official comment about the disclosures from UK authorities but Scotland Yard said Zaghba was not a police or MI5 “subject of interest”.