Press TV — April 18, 2017
More than a dozen Saudi military personnel have been killed when allied forces in Yemen shot down a Black Hawk helicopter taking part in Riyadh’s military operation against the impoverished Arab country.
Saudi Arabia’s SPA news agency confirmed the account on Tuesday. However, there was no comment on the reason behind the incident.
Earlier, military sources allied to Yemen’s Houthi Ansarullah movement said the helicopter had been downed earlier in the day in Ma’rib province in northeastern Yemen.
They said at least 13 people, including military personnel from Saudi Arabia and the Arab countries of the Persian Gulf region, were on board the copter when it crashed. The Saudi media said 12 troops were killed.
Military officials in Saudi Arabia swiftly confirmed the downing but said it was mistakenly targeted by a missile interception system in Ma’rib that was operated by the United Arab Emirates. Yemenis said, however, that armed forces loyal to former President Ali Abdullah Saleh, who is allied to Houthis, shot down the aircraft with surface-to-air missiles.
Riyadh said the fatalities included Saudi special forces and crew members. It said an investigation had been launched to determine the circumstances surrounding the incident.
Saudi Arabia launched its deadly campaign against Yemen in March 2015 with the alleged goal of pushing back the Houthis from the capital, Sana’a, and to reinstate a Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, the president who has resigned and is a staunch ally of Riyadh.
The campaign, which lacks any international mandate and has faced increasing criticism, has claimed the lives of more than 10,000 people, most of them civilians.
Saudis and allies have also suffered considerable casualties in the operation on Yemen as official estimates say more than 500 soldiers from Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain have been killed since March 2015.
Yemenis said on Tuesday that more than 100 Saudi-backed militants were killed in an operation in the southern province of Ta’izz a day earlier. They said most of those killed had been hiding in mountainous regions near the port of Mokha.
Comment — April 18, 2017
The above report is not an entirely isolated incident. The Saudis are paying a heavy price in men and military hardware in their campaign against Yemen.
As the following report reveals, only days before nearly a dozen Saudi soldiers were killed when Yemeni soldiers and fighters attacked a military base in south western Saudi Arabia.
Supported by Iran, the impoverished state is inflicting mounting casualties on Saudi Arabia as the oil rich Saudi’s strive to reinstate Yemen’s ousted former president, Ali Abdullah Saleh. Ed
Nearly dozen Saudi soldiers killed in Yemeni bomb attack
Press TV — April 16, 2017
Nearly a dozen Saudi soldiers have been killed when Yemeni army soldiers and fighters from allied Popular Committees launched an attack against a military base in Saudi Arabia’s southwestern border region of Jizan as they continue their retaliatory raids against Riyadh regime’s aerial bombardment campaign.
An unnamed military source said Yemeni forces and their allies detonated two improvised explosive devices at al-Habs base in the region on Sunday, leaving 11 Saudi troopers dead, Arabic-language al-Masirah television network reported.
The source added that two Saudi armored vehicles were also destroyed in the attack.
The report came a day after Yemeni soldiers and Popular Committees fighters fatally shot three Saudi soldiers at al-Shorfa, al-Fawaz and al-Makhrouq military bases in Najran region, located 844 kilometers south of the Saudi capital, Riyadh.
Earlier in the day, Yemeni forces had targeted and killed a Saudi soldier in the al-Moannaq military camp of Jizan region, located 969 kilometers south of Riyadh.
Moreover, Yemeni soldiers and allied fighters fired three domestically-manufactured Zelzal-2 (Earthquake-2) missiles, Katyusha rockets and artillery rounds at military bases in the same Saudi region. There were no immediate reports about possible casualties and the extent of damage caused.
Arabic-language Yemen Watch news agency reported on April 5 that Yemeni army soldiers and their allies carried out dozens of sniper operations against Saudi Arabia’s southwestern border regions in the first quarter of this year, leaving 119 Saudi soldiers dead.
Most of the operations were conducted in Jizan, where a total of 74 Saudi troopers lost their lives in 22 encounters.
Yemeni snipers also conducted nine operations in Najran, where 35 Saudi soldiers were killed.
Eight operations in Asir claimed the lives of 10 Saudi troops as well.
The Riyadh regime has maintained a policy of ambiguity regarding its casualties in the war on Yemen. Senior military officials have said that they would not release such information until after the campaign.
Riyadh’s military aggression began with an attempt to reinstate the regime of Yemen’s former president, Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, who is a staunch ally of Saudi Arabia, and to undermine the Houthi Ansarullah movement.
The Al Saud regime, however, has failed to achieve its goals.