Martin Robinson, Julian Robinson, Anthony Joseph, Stephanie Linning, Sam Greenhill, Tom Kelly and Emine Sinmaz — Daily Mail.com Dec 20, 2016
An international manhunt for the terrorist behind the Berlin Christmas market massacre is underway amid claims police have ‘no idea who they are looking for’.
Detectives are reportedly combing through CCTV footage in search of a lead after they released their only suspect from custody last night, saying there was not enough evidence to tie him to the atrocity.
Naved B, a Pakistani asylum seeker, had been detained in the immediate aftermath of Monday’s carnage following a tip-off from witnesses. But the 23-year-old, who had no blood on his clothes and no injuries, denied having anything to do with bloodbath, which claimed 12 lives and injured 48. Police wasted hours interrogating him.
A senior police officer told die Welt newspaper: ‘We have the wrong man. The true perpetrator is still armed, at large and can cause further damage.’
Within hours of the release of Naved B’s release, Islamic State issued its first claim of responsibility for the lorry attack on festive shoppers and revellers and hailed the driver responsible a ‘soldier’.
In a statement, the group’s AMAQ news agency said: ‘The executor of the operation in Berlin is a soldier of the Islamic State and he executed the operation in response to calls to target nationals of the coalition countries.’
Meanwhile the killer behind the attack remains on the run and armed with a gun. Prosecutor Holger Münch warned of a ‘serious threat’ of another ‘significant’ terror attack and Berliners were urged to stay indoors.