Introduction — Nov 8, 2016
We have no doubt that a report into a police investigation into claims that VIPs abused and killed children, and which criticises the conduct of the investigation, is part of a cover-up.
Senior members of the British establishment, including former Home Secretary Leon Brittan, who were alleged to have been involved have now effectively been cleared. Although a proper investigation has yet to be concluded.
While the person who made the original accusations could face now possible prosecution.
However, while the authenticity of original allegations have been called into question, the report into the police investigation pointedly fails to address the numerous other claims of VIP abuse that followed.
The report found the principle errors in the original investigation were:
To believe the complainant Nick was a credible person for too long
To say publicly that Nick’s allegations were credible and true
To obtain search warrants with flawed and incomplete information
Not to have closed the investigation sooner
Readers will note that the report looks specifically at the allegations from one “Nick” and ignores any others. Moreover, it cites errors in procedure in dealing with his accusations over and above those of any the others. They were numerous yet this report looks only at the allegations made by one individual. As such it reeks of a whitewash.
For example it notably fails to specifically mention the allegation of rape made against Leon Brittan. Those claims have been further corroborated by friends of the rape victim. Yet these been have now been dismissed without police looking at them specifically because the veracity of complaints from one alleged victim has been called into question.
Suspicions that a whitewash is underway were first aroused by a BBC investigation into the allegations, which also tried to dismiss the claims in a Panorama documentary.
The fact that senior police officers have now joined with the BBC and a retired judge, who headed the report, suggests that the British establishment is engaged in a full scale damage control exercise. Ed.
Operation Midland riddled with police errors, report finds
Vikram Dodd and Matthew Taylor — Guardian.co.uk Nov 8, 2016
A report on the Metropolitan police’s investigation into claims that a paedophile ring of VIPs abused and killed children says officers misled a judge to get search warrants, and identifies 43 failings.
The report says Operation Midland was riddled with errors, and a complainant will be investigated for attempting to pervert the course of justice.
The report, released on Tuesday, does not name the complainant but police confirmed the person referred for criminal investigation was “Nick”, whose allegations triggered the operation. Northumbria police will conduct the investigation.
The Met said five officers, including four detectives and a deputy assistant commissioner, would be referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission.
In his report, the retired judge Sir Richard Henriques calls for an IPCC inquiry into the false grounds used to get search warrants. “The gravity of a judge being misled in such circumstances cannot be overstated,” he states.
The Met commissioner, Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe, said he accepted there had been “serious failings” and that the investigation should have been closed sooner.
In November 2014 the Met announced that Operation Midland would investigate claims that a group of VIPs had sexually abused and killed children during the 1970s and 80s.
Nick’s claims led to allegations against public figures including the former military chief Lord Bramall, the former home secretary Leon Brittan and the former Tory MP Harvey Proctor.
In March this year the investigation was wound up and the Met concluded there was insufficient evidence to arrest anyone, let alone ask prosecutors to consider a charge.
The report says one failing was that officers believed Nick at the outset, and it calls for an end to the policy of believing alleged victims.
It says the principal cause of the mistakes in Operation Midland was the decision to search several premises, which it describes as “a grave error of judgment”.
It finds these searches were carried out “when there were no reasonable grounds to believe an indictable offence had been committed”.
Police stated in the application for a warrant that the victim contacted police in late 2014, “when in fact Nick first contacted MPS in 2012 before being referred to Wiltshire police where he was interviewed at length in December 2012”.
The report says the investigation could have been carried out without those who were accused by Nick learning of the claims. It says a contributory factor was the national requirement that “victims” must be believed.
Hogan-Howe said he accepted responsibility for the failings, and it was a matter of “professional and personal dismay” that the VIPs had been pursued by the police for so long.
In a statement released alongside the report, he said he had apologised to Bramall, Brittan’s widow, Lady Brittan, and Proctor.
“They have all suffered as a result of the investigation and our description of the allegations as ‘credible and true’. We should not have said this,” he said.
At a press conference after the report’s publication, Hogan-Howe said Brittan “should have been told before he died that the CPS full code test had not been met and that there was no intention to prosecute him”.