Tunisia Attack Leaves Dozens Dead at Beach Hotel

David D. Kirkpatrick — New York Times June 26, 2015

Two gunmen killed at least 27 people on Friday in an attack on at least one hotel in the Tunisian city of Sousse, Interior Ministry officials said. It was the second major terrorist attack on the country’s tourism industry in about four months.

The audacity of the assault and the number of victims suggested a sharp escalation from the relatively low-level political violence that has bedeviled the country since its Arab Spring revolt four years ago.

Interior Ministry officials said Friday afternoon that one of the attackers had been killed in a gunfight with security forces. The other attacker was on the run, officials said. Both were described as having been armed with Kalashnikov rifles, and there were reports of many injuries, suggesting the death toll could grow.

A news photograph from the scene appeared to show one of the attackers dead, face down on the ground, dressed in black shorts and a black short sleeve shirt, with his rifle next to him.

The motives and identity of the attackers were not immediately clear. But the Tunisian authorities have struggled to suppress a small but violent hard-line Islamist insurgency that has sprung up in the years since the uprising that forced out President Zine el-Abidine Ben Ali and set off the Arab Spring political upheavals.

The Sousse attack came just four months after three Islamist gunmen killed more than 20 people, almost all of them tourists, in a mass shooting at the National Bardo Museum in Tunis.

The attack on Friday took place in the Imperial Marhaba Hotel in Sousse, an affluent resort town on the coast that was also Mr. Ben Ali’s former hometown. There were reports that the violence may have extended into a second hotel, but they could not be immediately confirmed.

Source

‘ISIS’ Grenoble beheading: Victim decapitated at French gas factory in ‘terrorist attack’

John Shammas — Mirror.co.uk June 26, 2015

Forensic investigators and gendarmes next to the fence where the head was found in Saint-Quentin-Fallavier. Click to enlarge

Forensic investigators and gendarmes next to the fence where the head was found in Saint-Quentin-Fallavier. Click to enlarge

An attack at a US gas factory in France has left one decapitated in a possible terrorist attack, with the victim’s head found impaled on a fence according to locals.

French authorities have launched a terrorism investigation after the beheaded body was found at the factory, along with a flag bearing Islamist inscriptions.

It is claimed that Arabic writing was found on the head, and French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve is now heading to the site.

There has been one arrest made by police officers, understood to be in his 30s and known to the authorities.

One man died and around a dozen are thought to have been injured at the scene in the town of Saint-Quentin-Fallavier, around 20 miles from the city of Lyon.

Two men drove into the main gate of the factory soon after 10am, before driving around in circles throwing gas cylinders around the main yard, according to reports.

One of the men then jumped out of the car, according, and then ‘decapitated a man’.

An Islamic flag – possibly that of Islamic State – was seen next to the dead body, with the man’s head found 30ft from the corpse.

Continues….

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.