Press TV — August 4, 2014
The Israeli army has admitted that Israel’s Iron Dome missile system intercepted only eight out of nearly 120 rockets that were fired from the Gaza Strip into the occupied Palestinian territories on Sunday.
The military confirmed that around 110 rockets struck the occupied territories.
The development comes as the US Senate on Friday approved an additional USD 225 million in funding for the missile system despite Israel’s deadly war on the Gaza Strip.
Last month, US Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel sent a letter to congressional leadership requesting USD 225 million in additional US funding for the Iron Dome.
The money would be in addition to the USD 351 million that is already under discussion for Israel’s Iron Dome in fiscal 2015. It would bring total funding to USD 576 million, compared with the USD 176 million requested by the Pentagon for the fiscal year that begins on October 1.
On July 28, US Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said Tel Aviv urgently needs more financial aid from Washington for its offensive against Palestinians in the Gaza Strip.
Israeli warplanes have been pounding numerous sites in the Gaza Strip since July 8, demolishing houses and burying families under the rubble. Israeli forces also began a ground offensive against the besieged Palestinian territory on July 17.
According to Palestinian sources in the Gaza Strip, Israel’s airstrikes and ground invasion have left at least 1,822 people dead and some 9,400 others injured.
The Israeli military says 64 soldiers have been killed in the conflict, but Palestinian resistance movement Hamas puts the fatalities at more than 150.
Iron Dome is a short-range missile system designed to intercept rockets and artillery shells fired from a range of four to 70 kilometers.